Focusing on the positives

Melancholy seems to suit my personality, not that I don't like to laugh and enjoy life; but I tend to gravitate toward the sad, lonely, and painful parts of life. I'm certain it is of no coincidence that I ended up in this profession. No one goes to a counselor or therapist when things are bright and shiny. However, being melancholy has the potential to cloud one's perspective so that all things seem half empty while the brighter things simply fade away.

Working with so many parents has given me greater appreciation for my own. I've spent so much time thinking about the things I could have done better or what my parents could have done better in raising me. Since I started this job I've discovered how much I've taken for granted the lessons my parents taught me. There are some sessions when I sit with kids and think naively, 'Don't their parents teach them that it's important to tell the truth? Mine did, doesn't every kid get in trouble if they tell a fat lie?' Obviously not.

So here are a few of the many lessons my parents taught me both by their words and actions:

1. It's important to tell the truth so that you can be trustworthy
2. If you tell a lie and own up to it... you can still be found trustworthy
3. Take responsibility for your actions
4. Try your hardest, make an effort to do your best... even in the little things
5. Try not to make promises you can't keep
6. Don't hit your sisters, if you do, apologize to them
7. Learning is important
8. A little yard work never hurt anyone
9. Share with others
10. Love takes many forms... sometimes displayed in hugs, words, a filled gas tank, a warm meal, enforcing discipline, and by simply being present

Thanks Mom & Dad.

0 comments: