Vegetables
While on the subject of feelings, my 10 year old client and I had discussed happy, sad, angry, and confused when we embarked on what it means to feel hurt. He identified times when he's felt hurt as "I fell off my bike and my knee was bleeding" and "I was playing basketball and somebody knocked me to the ground." It's curious that these and the other two examples he shared involved physical hurts as opposed to emotional ones.
"Has anyone ever hurt your feelings?"
"Sure, there were these kids that used to call me names", he volunteered.
"What kinds of names?"
"Oh, I forget now."
"You forgot?"
"I guess it probably had something to do with me being overweight, yeah, that was probably it."
"Do you think you're overweight?"
"Yes, I mean, what do you think, don't I look overweight?"
Before I could answer the question, he blurted out, "Hey, can you help me with something?"
"It depends on what it is, I could definitely try."
"Can you make me want to eat more vegetables? That would really help."
I guess I could have suggested he douse them with ranch dressing, but that seemed counterproductive to his goal. Is there any easy way to make kids like broccoli?
0 comments:
Post a Comment