Missing the beach



This morning I pounded the pavement in our neighborhood, maybe it was that free issue of Runner's World that inspired me. I mean, if Will Ferrell can run a marathon, surely I can. We'll see if that happens. A pleasant three mile run was enough for me today, just enough to generate that endorphin high. Running here often makes me miss San Diego. Even though it's spring and everything is brilliant green here in North Texas, there are days when I miss the sound of the waves and the vastness of the ocean.

The year before I moved out here I realized my time in San Diego was winding down, so I took every opportunity I could to be at the beach. I would wake up at 5am (this is unthinkable now), drive ten minutes down to La Jolla and park on Coast Blvd. My almost daily run would start in darkness by these quaint beachside condos. As daylight was breaking I would run past the cove full of seals, down to Wind and Sea beach and then double back. Evening runs were even better, with the added bonus of amazing sunsets. There was something about standing in front of that enormous amount of water as it reached beyond the horizon, it would cause me to think about the grandness of God and the smallness of me. Plus, those sunsets were a beautiful sight to behold.

0 comments: