Liking vs. really liking

It was the second session with a 10 year-old client, whom I'll refer to as Eddie. He was quiet and subdued, doodling on a piece of paper while he talked to me about not liking school. He said he didn't appreciate all the work that the teachers expect him to complete. After a while I decided to shift the conversation to things that he enjoys about school. "Was there anyone you were really excited to see today?" Eddie's indifferent demeanor suddenly changed and a smile crept across his face. He replied, "There's this girl that's really nice. I like her, I mean I really really like her." I was taken by surprise because last session I couldn't get this kid to open up about anything. "So you like her? What is it that you like about her?" His eyes shifted like he was remembering a conversation he had earlier with her, he said quietly, "The way she smiles and I like her curly hair. I think she really really likes me too."

0 comments: