When I grow up...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" It seems like I ask this question frequently. Yesterday the answer from a 17 year old was, "I'd like to own a gas station, it seems like there's a lot of money to be made in gas stations". That's pretty original. I usually hear the typical answers like fireman, policeman, doctor, race car driver, basketball player, store clerk, president and teacher. Then there are the atypical ones like truck driver, car dealership president and WWE Smackdown wrestler (maybe that one is more common than I think). It makes me wonder what they'll grow up to be and makes me reflect on what I wanted to be at various stages in life.

Pre-school:

  • A mom
  • McDonald's cashier
Elementary school:

  • Paleontologist- I liked dinosaurs from a very young age, my favorite was the brontosaurus
  • Teacher
  • Architect- my friend Amy and I liked to make elaborate floor plans in 5th grade, my future house had a master suite with a sitting room which was separated by floor-to-ceiling aquariums
Middle school:

  • F-15 Eagle fighter pilot- this dream died early when I learned you have to have 20/20 unaided vision, it was soon replaced
  • Astronaut
  • Doctor
  • Teacher again

High School:

  • Archaeologist- I think Indiana Jones had something to do with this
  • Scientist
  • Marine biologist
  • Engineer
  • Peace Corps aid worker
  • Architectural engineer

College and beyond:

  • Biomedical engineer
  • Overseas aid worker
  • Missionary
  • Teacher
  • Physician's Assistant
  • Counselor
And now:

  • A mom- isn't that ironic?
But really, these days it's not an occupation that I want to be; I would just like to be more patient, kinder, less judgmental, a more faithful follower of Christ, a better manager of my time, content with my circumstances, more thankful, and I wouldn't mind having better cooking skills.

0 comments: