You must be Chinese
Thankfully I have a job that I enjoy and is often entertaining because I work with kids. Yesterday I met with a client who is 8 and very talkative. I frequently have to redirect him back to what's pertinent to his therapy, but we end up on tangential conversations anyhow. This time he asks me,
"Man, where did you learn Spanish?" (I speak with his mom in Spanish, and I'm not sure why he refers to me as 'Man').
"I learned it while I lived in Mexico for a couple of years".
"Well, where did you learn English then?"
"In California."
"Oh. Hey, man, do you know French?"
I decided to not let those nine years of studying the language go down the drain and replied,
"Parlez vous francais?"
He became quite animated and nearly shouted, "HEY! You must be CHI-NESE!"
Needless to say, I was very confused by his comment but it was pretty entertaining.
Later that same hour...
Suddenly and completely off the topic of anger management he asks, "Hey, do you know who the Master of this earth is?"
"No, who is it?"
"You know- the MASTER of this earth!"
"Who are you talking about?"
He hits his forehead with his hand and shakes his head disapprovingly, "YOU DON'T KNOW?! I'll give you a hint, it starts with a G".
"Oh, you mean God?"
"Ye-ess! Do you know who is the master of, you know..." His eyes shift downward as he points to the floor. "You know, man." He continues to emphatically point his finger to the ground as he mouths the word 'hell' over and over.
It's hard for me to keep a straight face, "No, who is it?"
"You know...", he continues to mouth it, hoping that I'll say it aloud so he can tell his mom that the counselor said a 'bad word'.
I continue to look at him, but say nothing.
He says, "Man, c'mon you know, the devil! Sate."
"Sate?"
"Yeah, Sate."
"Do you mean Satan?"
"Oh yeah, that's it."
0 comments:
Post a Comment